Why Promotional Products Are An Important Marketing Strategy
Whether you are a newly created startup or an established global business, continually seeking that competitive edge is always at the forefront of any good marketing strategy. In today's highly competitive digital market place, it is easy to overlook the value of promotional gifts as an effective marketing tool.
Getting promotional products and corporate gifts out there with your company branding on is an innovative way to keep your business at the forefront of customers' minds, giving you that much sort after competitive edge. Read on for reasons why promotional products work, what trending in corporate gifting, how to get the most out of branded products and more!
What Are Promotional Products?
Promotional items can be pretty much anything with branding attached. You can design your own, have your branding printed on existing products or choose from your own product range.
Promotional Items can range from something as simple as a pen, post-it notes, or t-shirt to more luxury corporate gifts such as picnic hampers, bags, and gift baskets. Technology gifts such as phone chargers, USB sticks and Bluetooth speakers have also become popular choices in recent years.
Branded products are often used for internal items such as staff stationery, uniforms and event stands/tents or signage, as well as external uses such as corporate gifts for clients, freebies at company events and promotional customer giveaways. Pretty much anything that can have your business details printed on can become a promotional product.
3 Reasons Why Promotional Gifts Work
Digital advertising is great, but receiving an actual physical gift promotes a feel-good response which helps people remember your business and encourages them to do business with you in the future. Did you know that according to the Promotional Products Association International (PPAI) 85% of customers end up doing business with the company after receiving a promotional gift! Check out more stats below from the Promotional Products Association International (PPAI).
- Branded Giftware Makes People Remember You. "89% of all people who have received a promotional item in the last 24 months remember the name of the company associated with it". This is great news for your business, providing ongoing promotional support without any further input or expense.
- Gifts Feel Good. "83% of consumers like receiving a promotional product with an advertising message". Receiving an actual physical gift promotes a feel-good response which is then also associated with your company encouraging future engagement and trust.
- Promo Products Go The Distance. "41% of consumers keep a promotional product anywhere from 1 year to more than four years". Promotional gifts really are the gift that keeps on giving! This kind of advertising is priceless when compared to the fleeting moment a digital ad appears on someone's screen.
Why Is Promotion Important In The Marketing Mix?
The importance of promotion has long been called upon as a way to build greater connectivity with your customers by setting your product or service apart from your competitors – essentially working as a way to keep you ahead of the pack.
A successful marketing strategy is all about staying at the forefront of your customer's minds, so they choose you ahead of your competitors. In marketing terms, this is often referred to as building your brand or creating brand loyalty.
Branded products, merchandise, giftware and corporate gifts work to help raise awareness of your product, service or company and provide a means of targeting the desired audience in a real-world context.
Recognising the value of customised promotional products is an asset to any successful corporate marketing strategy. Branded promotional products are a tried and tested way of getting your brand in front of the right people while giving them a reason to choose you!
3 Things To Keep In Mind When Choosing Promotional Products
Now that you have decided promotional products are the way to go for your business, it's important to choose the right product in order to maximise the returns. Branded promotional products are a tried and tested way of getting your brand in front of the right people while giving them a reason to choose you. The best promotional gift for your company to distribute will depend on your marketing goals, brand image and, of course, its intended purpose.
- Purpose. Understanding who and what the gift is for will help you stay on the right track for this one. Is it for employees? Potential customers? Existing customers? Businesses you deal with on a regular basis? Are you trying to impress? Say thanks? Show appreciation? Be memorable? Be useful?
- Brand Image. Always keep in mind the ongoing brand image you are trying to create when choosing an appropriate corporate gift. You don't want to be giving away branded plastic drink bottles if you are trying to cement your brand as environmentally friendly, for example.
- Marketing Goals. What are you trying to achieve here? Think about the big picture – companywide brand, long term goals, and the current business situation. Is this gift about getting your brand out there? Is the product meant to represent your range of products? Is it more of the thank you gift? Is it simply a novelty gift such as a stress ball or teddy bear that is designed to provide that feel-good experience?
Top 6 Benefits Of Branded Promo Products
Promotional products are a type of communication between your business and the receiver. This communication is a positive way of impressing, maintaining and building customer, employee and business to business relations. Take a look at our top 5 benefits to using branded promo products below.
1. Better Brand Recognition
In today's extremely competitive marketplace, memorable promo products can help your business stand out from the crowd. Using branded and corporate gifts provides greater exposure will always gain you greater recognition. The goal is for your target market to instantly recognise your brand and what it stands for and promotional items work to help them remember and recognise your business.
2. Low Cost
For many small businesses, extensive advertising campaigns are simply out of reach. However, when compared with other advertising and brand promotion options, promo products are a relatively low-cost investment with pretty good impact results. Most often, the impact of receiving the gift well outweighs the cost of the promotional product.
3. Greater Loyalty
Building a base of loyal customers who offer their support as repeat customers is top of the list of goals for any business, no matter the industry. Making your customers feel appreciated and valued is an excellent way to go about it! Promotional merchandise helps establish and reinforce your business as a trusted supplier and build long-standing relationships that will keep your customers coming back time after time.
4. Bonus Advertising Potential
What is the first thing people do when receiving an awesome gift? Take a pic to share on social media, of course! Even though you have gone offline to promote your business, it doesn't mean it won't end up online benefiting you in ways you never even considered! Choosing the right corporate gift can mean you receive the gift of ongoing (and free) advertising, substantially improving reach and increasing your return on investment. There is no better way to build a customer base than word of mouth from friends and family who trust each other's opinions.
5. Helps Build Brand Value
Promo products should always be chosen very carefully; they are going to be out in the world for some time with your business name and contact details all over them – you want to make sure you are sending the right message. For instance, if you're a company projecting a luxury image, then using a pen, notepads, or post-it note as a promotional gift may not be the right way to demonstrate your brand values truly.
6. Increased Sales
What is the end result of all of the benefits listed above? It all leads straight down the path to increased sales! Keeping your brand at the forefront of customer's minds is much easier if your website and business name are sitting on their desk at work, present in their home or on a commonly used product during the day. You never know when the customer may have the need for your services.
What's Trending In Promotional Items For 2021?
Best Corporate Gift Ideas For Employees
- Indoor plants
- Gourmet sweets
- Branded clothing, PPE or workwear
- Reusable Coffee cups
- Stress balls or fidget devices
- Locally made food products (Christmas cake, honey, cheese etc.)
- Personalised gift sets
- Desktop games
Best Corporate Gift Ideas For Clients
- Novelty stress items (stress ball etc.)
- Business card holder
- Pen holder
- Stationery (notebooks, diaries etc.)
- Picnic hamper
- Cooler bag
- Clothing (sweaters, hats, scarves, t-shirts etc.)
- Reusable bags
Best Luxury Promo Gift Ideas
- Cheeseboard set
- Eco-friendly drink bottles
- Eco-friendly coffee cups
- Timber serving boards
- Luxury brand items (bags, perfume, watches etc.)
- Glass Set
- Luxury Gift Baskets
Best Technology Promo Gifts
- Power bank
- Bluetooth speakers
- Wireless charger
- Mouse mat
- USB Stick
- Selfie drone
- Phone/tablet cases
Best Novelty Promo Products
- Stress ball, squishy toys
- Board games
- Backyard cricket set
- Bottle opener
- Photo frame
- Tape measure
- Beach towel
In today's digital age the use of branded promo products may at first seem a little old-school, however as we have learned in the article promotional products often create a much more memorable brand experience and offer benefits well beyond the initial investment. Take a look here for more innovative, functional and fun promotional product ideas for 2021.